India’s railway ministry has recommended that the country’s top detective agency should investigate the deadly crash that killed 295 people.
Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw announced the decision but did not give more details.
Railways-led investigations have already started and preliminary reports say a signal fault led to the crash.
The three-train collision on Friday night has been described as India’s worst rail accident this century.
More than 1,000 suffered injuries and were taken to hospitals. Some families are still searching for their loved ones.
It’s not clear why the Railway Board, the ministry’s top decision making body, has recommended a separate investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) when other inquiries have already started.
The CBI investigates high profile criminal causes, including serious financial frauds and murders.
Mr Vaishnaw said on Sunday that “the root cause” of the accident and people responsible for the “criminal act” had been identified.
He added that a “change in electronic interlocking” was the likely cause of the accident. The minister urged people to wait for the final report.
A report by the Commissioner of Railway Safety would be made public soon and it would reveal the cause, he said.