In a stunning display of shooting prowess, the New Orleans Pelicans secured a decisive victory over the San Antonio Spurs, setting a franchise record with an impressive 22 three-pointers. CJ McCollum and Brandon Ingram led the charge with 29 and 26 points, respectively, in a game that highlighted the Pelicans’ offensive dominance.
The Spurs, on the other hand, faced a tough night, marking the fourth occasion this season they have lost by 36 points or more. Coach Gregg Popovich acknowledged the Pelicans’ exceptional shooting performance, stating, “They had a great night shooting. We couldn’t throw it in the ocean. But on top of shooting well, they played very well. We weren’t as sharp as we needed to be and got whooped, real good.”
Victor Wembanyama emerged as one of the few bright spots for the Spurs, recording 17 points and 13 rebounds. Notably, Wembanyama’s performance included an eighth consecutive double-double, surpassing the previous NBA record for teenagers set by Dwight Howard in 2005. The young talent’s achievement was witnessed by former San Antonio All-Star Tony Parker, his childhood idol and mentor.
Adding to the night’s significance, the Spurs honored Tony Parker during a halftime ceremony, unveiling a Hall of Fame designation on his retired jersey. Parker, inducted in August, joined the ranks of San Antonio luminaries alongside coach Gregg Popovich and former Spurs assistant Becky Hammon, as well as Pau Gasol, Dwyane Wade, and Dirk Nowitzki.
Despite the celebratory halftime ceremony, the Spurs struggled to maintain momentum on the court. The Pelicans consistently responded to any attempts by the Spurs to narrow the gap, finishing the game with a remarkable 22 successful three-pointers out of 42 attempts.
The victory marked the Pelicans’ fourth consecutive win since their loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in the In-Season Tournament semifinals. Zion Williamson, reflecting on the team’s recent success, noted, “Winning cures everything.”
In contrast, the Spurs, despite snapping an 18-game losing streak just days earlier, continued to face challenges. With a 2-19 record since November 1 and a 4-20 overall standing, they find themselves at the bottom of the Western Conference, surpassed only by Detroit (2-24) in the league.
Victor Wembanyama acknowledged the team’s struggles but emphasized the importance of consistency, stating, “We’re not trying to find any excuses. Any team’s goal is to try to be consistent. We’re underway, but there’s no excuses.”
The Pelicans, led by coach Willie Green, attributed their success to a strong defensive mentality. Green stated, “Our mentality is to go out there and take care of our jobs. It starts with the defense for us, making sure we contest shots and finish possessions.”
Looking ahead, the Pelicans are set to host Memphis on Tuesday, while the struggling Spurs face a tough matchup against Milwaukee on the same day
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Q: How many three-pointers did the New Orleans Pelicans make in the game against the San Antonio Spurs?
- A: The Pelicans set a franchise record with 22 three-pointers in their victory over the Spurs.
- Q: Who were the top scorers for the New Orleans Pelicans in the game?
- A: CJ McCollum led the Pelicans with 29 points, followed by Brandon Ingram with 26 points.
- Q: What was the performance of Victor Wembanyama in the game?
- A: Victor Wembanyama had an outstanding game, recording 17 points and 13 rebounds. His performance included an eighth consecutive double-double, setting a new NBA record for teenagers.
- Q: How did the San Antonio Spurs honor Tony Parker during the halftime ceremony?
- A: The Spurs unveiled a Hall of Fame designation on Tony Parker’s retired jersey, recognizing his contributions to the team. This ceremony took place during halftime.
- Q: What was the overall atmosphere during the game with regard to Tony Parker’s ceremony?
- A: While the halftime ceremony honoring Tony Parker was a celebratory moment, the Spurs faced challenges on the court, and the Pelicans dominated the game.
- Q: How has the recent performance affected the standings of the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference?
- A: The Spurs, with a 2-19 record since November 1 and a 4-20 overall standing, currently hold the worst record in the Western Conference, ranking above only Detroit in the league.
- Q: What is the next game for the New Orleans Pelicans and the San Antonio Spurs?
- A: The Pelicans are set to host Memphis in their upcoming game, while the struggling Spurs will face Milwaukee in their next matchup.
- Q: What factors did the Pelicans attribute to their recent success?
- A: Pelicans coach Willie Green emphasized their strong defensive mentality as a key factor in their success, focusing on contesting shots and finishing possessions.
- Q: How did Zion Williamson describe the team’s recent performance?
- A: Zion Williamson mentioned, “Winning cures everything,” highlighting the positive impact of the Pelicans’ recent four-game winning streak.
- Q: What is the significance of Victor Wembanyama’s eighth consecutive double-double?
- A: Victor Wembanyama’s eighth consecutive double-double set a new NBA record for teenagers, surpassing the previous record held by Dwight Howard in 2005.